You've reached the personal page of Lucas Steuber. Welcome! I work with children from infancy to early adulthood in the areas of speech, language, and social thinking, with a specialization on design and intervention of augmentative and alternative communication and low-incidence disorders. My passion is support children of all learning profiles in their physical, academic, and social/emotional growth, particularly through clinical work but also in society as a whole. My work primarily occurs in-home, but I can see private clients in a number of Portland clinics and am also under contract to serve students in public schools in Washington State.
I'm the clinical director for the team that develops the iOS app FreeSpeech, which won Best of Show in its category at CES Asia and was the first special education tool to be honored in the #1 "Best New App" position on the iTunes store. I also work as a consultant to improve educational technology with a company I cofounded called GiveLanguage.
When I'm not busy with all that other stuff I'm the Public Relations board member for Adler's Voice, an amazing nonprofit that provides augmentative and alternative communication devices to families who cannot afford them, I serve on the Board of Ambassadors for the Autism Society of Oregon, and work on the Autism Society of America's Strategic Planning and Core Services working groups. I also work in Washington State under contract with PediaStaff, who are awesome people and you should absolutely get to know them.
My availability is limited, but I accept new clients as quickly as possible and promise constant communication. Please do not let concerns about timeline or cost keep you from reaching out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 943-0998.
For parent testimonials, samples of my related writing, and details on our 1:1 rates, please continue scrolling below.
WRITING AND CONSULTING
I've been lucky enough to see my writing featured in academic, trade, and pop publications on topics as varied as language disorders in individuals diagnosed with Schizophrenia to the importance of incorporating personal identity in Augmentative and Alternative Communication Systems.
Recent speaking and writing
- AAC: A Philosophical Perspective; Riyadh University, Islamabad, Pakistan
- The Village Within (Buzzfeed)
- Finding David's Space (ASHA Leader)
- Blurred Lines: In Support of a Broader Interdisciplinary Model for Autism Spectrum Disorder (ADVANCE)
- AAC 101: Pitt Hawkins Research Symposium and Family Conference
- Co-Creating Curriculum (SPECTRUMS)
- Implications of Boredom in School (ADVANCE)
- Following FreeSpeech: Behind the Scenes in the Creation of a New App for Language Learning (Buzzfeed)
- Defining Autism Spectrum Disorder - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 (ADVANCE)
- Tell Me About the Last Time You Were Embarrassed (Autism Spectrum News)
- Speech-Language Pathologists in the Schools (SPECTRUMS)
- Traumatic Brain Injury: A Moment in Time (ADVANCE)
Selected News and Interviews
- Aim High Ignite: Interview with Entercom/Metroscope that aired on six local radio stations
- Aim High Ignite: Interviews with Portland Radio Project
- Q&A with Makey Makey Jedi Lucas Steuber (Joylabz / MIT Media Lab)
- Breaking the Language Barrier (Business Tribune)
- FreeSpeech Interview (CBS News)
- Local 12 year old Creates Approved iOS App with Clinic's Help (ABC News)
- New App for Language Disorders Is First Special Education Tool to Be Featured First by Apple in Best New Apps (Upgrade Magazine)
- Ask an Expert: Lucas Steuber (Tiggly)
- Interview with Lucas Steuber (Sam Blanco)
- Recognized in 2015 as One of the Top Bloggers in Speech-Language Pathology (ASHA Leader)